[Bioc-devel] Multiple processor for one expression?

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Wed Jun 5 17:40:42 CEST 2013

Hi Chen,

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 7:28 AM, Chen Meng <mengchen18 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Package "multicore" does a good job in enabling multiple processors for
> multiple expressions. I am wondering if it is possible to use multiple
> processors for one expression, so that I can make successive steps faster
> (e.g. A -> B -> C, the later process depends on the result of the former
> process). Any hint? Thanks in advance.

There are often ways to exploit parallelization to make things go
faster. Some tasks are easier than others, and sometimes these things
are completely non-obvious, or even attainable only outside the scope
of R or only to those with extreme expertise in obscure things (ie.
using (or writing!) a multithreaded blas library, for example).

Without knowing the details of A, B, and C, you have no hope of
getting a useful answer -- or even a hint for a useful answer, but
I'll answer your question all the same: "Yes, it is possible".

You'll have to provide more details in order to get any useful help.

Note that there is also a "high performance computing" with R mailing
list that might also be helpful.

-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou