[Bioc-devel] shiny, Bioconductor, and reproducible research

Diego Diez diego10ruiz at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 09:16:33 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have been following this conversation with a lot of interest. I have
an R package with a shiny interface to another package recently
accepted in bioc-devel (rTRM). I was planning to submit it soon, as
the package is finished.

So my question is, should I hold the submission off until the
questions in this topic are decided or on the contrary submit and
adapt the package later accordingly? If asked about which I prefer,
submit it now would be my choice.

One thing to consider is that from the R package developer point of
view, it probably only makes sense to implement methods for unit
test/etc that do not require the use/knowledge of other language that
is not R. For example, for me one of the main motivations to use shiny
was the fact that I could avoid having to compute things in
Javascript- just could use only R. Maybe it was not implied otherwise
in the thread-just wanted to stress this point. At any rate, any
solution that is R-founded I will be more than willing to follow.
However, I am completely ignorant at this moment about how to
implement unit testing for my shiny package.

One additional comment. In the package I will submit all the code for
the shiny application resides in the inst/ directory (including the
ui.R and server.R files, but also images, html and data files). In R/
there is only a runTRM() function that in turns calls to runApp() with
the correct path. This may not be optimal so any other suggestions on
this regard are welcome.

Best wishes,
Diego