[Bioc-devel] appending 2 GappedAlignments using "c" takes long

Nicolas Delhomme delhomme at embl.de
Thu Jul 11 11:11:27 CEST 2013

That particular machine has been up  for 40 days although all the parameters are in the green right now.

Doing an rbind is as quick as what you reported:
> system.time(df2 <- rbind(df, df))
   user  system elapsed
  0.104   0.000   0.104

And now I do get the GAlignments warning:

> GappedAlignments()
GAlignments with 0 alignments and 0 metadata columns:
   seqnames strand       cigar    qwidth     start       end     width
        ngap
   <integer>
  ---
  seqlengths:

Warning message:
  The GappedAlignments class, the GappedAlignments()
  constructor, and the readGappedAlignments() function, have been
  renamed: GAlignments, GAlignments(), and readGAlignments(),
  respectively. The old names are deprecated. Please use the new
  names instead.

And the appending works as for you:

> library(Rsamtools)
> library(RNAseqData.HNRNPC.bam.chr14)
> bamfile <- BamFile(RNAseqData.HNRNPC.bam.chr14_BAMFILES[1L])
> yieldSize(bamfile) <- 100000L
> open(bamfile)
> out <- GappedAlignments()
Warning message:
  The GappedAlignments class, the GappedAlignments()
  constructor, and the readGappedAlignments() function, have been
  renamed: GAlignments, GAlignments(), and readGAlignments(),
  respectively. The old names are deprecated. Please use the new
  names instead.
> chunk <- readBamGappedAlignments(bamfile)
Warning message:
'readBamGappedAlignments' is deprecated.
Use 'readGAlignmentsFromBam' instead.
See help("Deprecated")

> system.time(out <- append(out, chunk))
   user  system elapsed
  0.092   0.000   0.091

> chunk <- readBamGappedAlignments(bamfile)
Warning message:
'readBamGappedAlignments' is deprecated.
Use 'readGAlignmentsFromBam' instead.
See help("Deprecated")

> system.time(out <- append(out, chunk))
   user  system elapsed
  0.372   0.000   0.369

> chunk <- readBamGappedAlignments(bamfile)
Warning message:
'readBamGappedAlignments' is deprecated.
Use 'readGAlignmentsFromBam' instead.
See help("Deprecated")

> system.time(out <- append(out, chunk))
   user  system elapsed
  0.896   0.012   0.909

And the sessionInfo are as before:

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.0.1 (2013-05-16)
Platform: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:
[1] parallel  stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
[8] base

other attached packages:
[1] GenomicRanges_1.13.26 Biostrings_2.29.12    XVector_0.1.0
[4] IRanges_1.19.15       BiocGenerics_0.7.2

[1] stats4_3.0.1

So I'm not sure what happened; so far, I can only imagine an NFS / RAID related issue.

Doing it with my own data gives the same results as above.

Sorry for bothering you with that and many thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Nico

Nicolas Delhomme

Genome Biology Computational Support