[Bioc-devel] best practice: verbose messages

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 10 19:53:57 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen
<kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Dan Tenenbaum <dtenenba at fhcrc.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Michael Lawrence
>> <lawrence.michael at gene.com> wrote:
>> > If it's an informational message, like one you might log, use message().
>> > If
>> > you're rendering an object as text, like in a show method, use cat().
>> >

>> Another thing to consider is that messages can be suppressed with
>> suppressMessages() but cat() output cannot.
>

> Sure.  What I cannot decide is whether that is good or bad.

In terms of being a good citizen, it's good; but sounds like you are
also providing a verbose option that can be turned off (or is off by
default) so that's another path to good citizenship.
However, if your package is at the bottom of a big dependency tree,
the user may not be aware of the package-specific way to suppress
output but they might be aware of suppressMessages().

Up to you....
Dan