[Bioc-devel] small request on graph::graphBAM()

Valerie Obenchain vobencha at fhcrc.org
Tue Feb 19 21:44:22 CET 2013

This change is now implemented in devel 1.37.6.

 > nms <- paste0("Y", 8:11)
 > df <- data.frame(from=nms, to=nms, weight=rep(1, 4))

Node names are not sorted when full vector of names is provided:
 > nodes(graphBAM(df, nodes=c(nms, "foo")))
[1] "Y8"  "Y9"  "Y10" "Y11" "foo"

Names are sorted when only a zero-degree node is provided:
 > nodes(graphBAM(df, nodes="foo"))
[1] "foo" "Y10" "Y11" "Y8"  "Y9"

A side effect of this change is that addNode(), which calls graphBAM(),
was returning unsorted node names. To remain consistent with previous
behavior I've sorted these results. Currently addNode() has no way to
specify a full list of node names. Do you have an opinion on addNode()
behavior? OK as is?

Valerie

On 02/07/2013 08:52 AM, Robert Castelo wrote:
> Great, thanks!
> robert.
>
> On 02/07/2013 05:44 PM, Valerie Obenchain wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> I will look into this next week. Thanks for providing details and
>> examples in the request.
>>
>> Valerie
>>
>> On 02/06/2013 04:10 PM, Robert Castelo wrote:
>>> dear maintainers of the graph package,
>>>
>>> i have a small request for the constructor function graphBAM() from the
>>> graph package.
>>>
>>> the current help page of the graphBAM() constructor says the following
>>> about the argument called 'nodes':
>>>
>>> A character vector of node labels. Use this to add degree
>>> zero nodes to the graph. If ‘NULL’, the set of nodes found
>>> in ‘from’ and ‘to’ will be used.
>>>
>>> It would be great if when nodes != NULL and includes the set of nodes
>>> found in 'from' and 'to', 'nodes' would be taken as the set of nodes of
>>> the graph, without re-ordering it.
>>>
>>> currently this function has the following line (*):
>>>
>>> nodes <- sort(unique(c(as.character(df$from), as.character(df$to),
>>> nodes)))
>>>
>>> this is a bit of a headache for me because the alphabetical ordering of
>>> vertices does not respect integer ordering (obviously):
>>>
>>> library(graph)
>>> df <- data.frame(from=paste0("Y", 1:10), to=paste0("Y", 2:11),
>>> weight=rep(1, 10))
>>> nodes(graphBAM(df, nodes=paste0("Y", 1:10)))
>>> [1] "Y1" "Y10" "Y11" "Y2" "Y3" "Y4" "Y5" "Y6" "Y7" "Y8" "Y9"
>>>
>>> however, because i often deal with vectors of vertex labels created as
>>>
>>> v <- paste0("Y", 1:p)
>>>
>>> with p whatever positive integer, my vector of vertex labels is not
>>> identical to the vector returned by graph::nodes() which complicates the
>>> way i have to deal with this feature. re-ordering my vector of vertex
>>> labels by alphabetical order implies doing it *each* time i do one of
>>> those 'paste0()' calls, which is quite often, and this seems quite
>>> common, see
>>> http://simplystatistics.org/2013/01/31/paste0-is-statistical-computings-most-influential-contribution-of-the-21st-century
>>>

>>> :)
>>>
>>> for this reason it would be great for me if the argument 'nodes' in
>>> graphBAM() would have this additional functionality of forcing an
>>> ordering on the vertex labels when 'nodes' include all vertices forming
>>> the given edges.
>>>
>>> i think this would amount to replacing the line above (*) by
>>>
>>> stopifnot(all(!duplicated(nodes))) ## given nodes should be unique
>>> edgeNodes <- unique(c(as.character(df$from), as.character(df$to))
>>> if (!all(edgeNodes %in% nodes))
>>> nodes <- sort(unique(c(nodesEdges, nodes)))
>>>
>>> note that with this code when one just adds extra degree zero nodes, the
>>> behavior does not change with respect to what it is doing right now and
>>> if one likes to stick to the alphabetical ordering, you can always give
>>> 'nodes=sort(myvertexlabels)' as argument to the graphBAM() constructor