[Bioc-devel] [GenomicFeatures] no pkgName found. makeTxDbPackage() called after txdb created from GFF3 file

Marc Carlson mcarlson at fhcrc.org
Sat Feb 9 10:56:40 CET 2013

Hi Malcolm,

In general I have found ensembl to be really great and I expect that
their gtf files are probably fine.  Usually the exon rank is the 1st
thing you will see left out when a gtf file is cutting corners, and you
are correct that they seem to be including that. I ran the one for Homo
sapiens though makeTranscriptDbFromGFF() and everything appears to be in
working order.

I wanted to warn Tengfei about this because I worry that most people
will be surprised to learn that the gtf file format comes with fewer
guarantees about the data included than they might have expected.  I
also mentioned it because I noticed that his function call to
makeTranscriptDbFromGFF() did not specify an exonRankAttributeName,
which strongly implies to me that maybe that his file might not have had
that information present.  The assumption was that if he had that
information, he would have supplied that argument so that he could make
use of it.  But another possibility is that Tengfei just didn't need
that information at all, in which case this will all just be another
(possibly unwarranted) public service message.  If that is the case, I
apologise for the noise.

   Marc