[Bioc-devel] More than 4Mb

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Aug 26 00:52:54 CEST 2013

On 08/25/2013 12:55 PM, Hernandez Ferrer, Carles wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have developed a package that uses 3 binary files (Affymetrix Power Tools).
> I thought to include them into the package but the executables size is more
> than the 4Mb allow by Biocondutor. Mus I create some type of experimental
> package to include this executables or I have to inform to the user it must
> download the APT to be able to use it in the developed package?

In this case, and given the size and complexity of APT, I think the user should
be required to download and install these binaries separately; the only real
alternative is to include the source code and adapt the APT compilation process
to work with the compilers used by R (this later may be trivial or otherwise, I
have not looked).

Your package should check that an appropriate version of APT is installed
correctly, in a way that works across the major platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Requiring APT will introduce a significant obstacle to your users, so you should
be very sure that the functionality provided by APT is not already available in
the many packages already handling microarrays in Bioconductor.

Martin