[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor coding standards

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Apr 3 02:09:12 CEST 2013

Hi Ulrich,

On 04/02/2013 09:37 AM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> On 04/02/2013 09:04 AM, Alejandra Gonzalez-Beltran wrote:
>> Hi Ulrich,
>>
>> While not for Bioconductor, this Google's R style guide might be useful:
>>
>> http://google-styleguide.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/google-r-style.html
>
> Bioc doesn't dictate coding style.
> The use of '.' in any kind of symbol
> is potentially confusing with S3 dispatch.

I would add that we also strongly suggest that you limit the line
lengths to 80 chars, that you properly indent your code (typically
by 2-space, 4-space, or 8-space increments, that's a matter of personal
taste), that you put a space after the comma separating the function
args, and that you do not put a space between the name of a function
and the parentheses in a function call. Sounds obvious but many of the
contributed packages we receive have code that is poorly formatted and
hence hard to read.

We also strongly suggest that class names start with a capital letter.

Thanks,
H.

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology