[Bioc-devel] supported platforms

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 28 21:59:39 CEST 2012

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:22 PM, Thomas Sandmann
<sandmann.thomas at gene.com> wrote:
> Dear BioC developers,
>
> I have just been notified that a dependency of my 'gCMAP' package, which
> was accepted for release in Bioconductor, has changed and does not support
> Windows any more.

Which dependency is this?

> Is there anything I need to add to my package (e.g. the DESCRIPTION file)
> to indicate that it will only be available for Mac / Unix platforms ?

You do not have to add anything to your package. You can mention in
the documentation that the package is not supported on windows. The
package home page on the bioconductor web site, which is automatically
generated, will show that there is no binary for windows. And for
windows users, biocLite("gCMAP") will tell them that there is no such
package.

You can optionally add a README file in the top level of your package
explaining the situation. The package home page will contain a link to
this file.

Thanks,
Dan