[Bioc-devel] annotation() to BiocGenerics?

Nicolas Delhomme delhomme at embl.de
Fri Sep 21 17:37:34 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I have the same issue for the easyRNASeq package:

unable to find an inherited method for function "annotation", for signature "Genome_intervals_stranded"

easyRNASeq uses genomeIntervals (another Bioc package) and due to the mentioned change (moving of the annotation generic), both packages are now partially non-functional.

While I completely support such consolidation, this time, the timeline is very tight. The change was done on the 18th, it took 2 days to propagate, luckily the bug was reported immediately, but it's already friday evening here (21st, CET)  and the API freeze is on the 24th, so if we would play by the rule, there'd just be one day left to fix it (the 24th, can't expect to have someone fixing this at the WE, really).

This raises a more general concern as there's now really a lot of contributed package in Bioc that depends on the excellent core Bioc API. Would not it make sense to have an earlier freeze of the core Bioc API than just a week before the release? Just to make sure that any effect in downstream contributed packages is timely detected? I'm saying this, because the exact same happened for the 2.10 release 6 months ago. I would not mind sparing that extra bit of stress :-)

I've contacted the maintainer of the genomeIntervals package to see if they can use the BiocGeneric generic instead.

Robert, it would be good if you were to tell the GSVA developer. And btw, thanks for the tip Benilton!

Cheers,

Nico

Nicolas Delhomme

Genome Biology Computational Support