[Bioc-devel] SummarizedExperiment: potential for data integration and meta-analysis?

Vincent Carey stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Thu Sep 20 18:30:44 CEST 2012

I'll comment briefly because I think this is a strategically important topic and
I have done a little bit on integration in various forms.

My view of SummarizedExperiment is that it updates the eSet concept to
promote range-based indexing of assay features.  The 'assays' component
is limited to matrix/array like things and my sense is that the "Summarized"
implies that the intention is for a memory-tractable, serializable reduction of
an experiment applied to all of a fixed set of samples.

I felt that what Michael was describing departs significantly from
these conditions/aims
in various ways -- there are multiple assays, possibly at different
stages of summarization, and one
wants a coherent path to interaction with these, requiring less uniformity of
structure.  Entities to be covered are, roughly, a set of biological
samples, mostly assayed in the same ways, but the assays do not imply a common
set of measurements on a fixed set of ranges.

One possible term for the data structure described by Michael is
"ExperimentHub".  This
would include references to various external data resources and it
would have methods
for traversing the resources for certain objectives.  Instead of
nesting the SummarizedExperiment
structures, we could think of certain traversals culminating in
SummarizedExperiment instances.

I think this would lead to high-level workflow prescriptions that
could be broadly applicable --
say you have VCFs and BAMs on a collection of samples with some gaps,
start with an ExperimentHub
consisting of path specifications and on this you could derive some
basic statistics on data availability.  You'd want to have a little
more detail on the biology from which the files arose early on, to
help organize the
high-level description.  For example, I assume you might have separate
VCFs on germ-line and tumor DNA, BAM from RNA-seq applied to different
cell types, and from some ChIP-seq ... some samples have all, some
have only a few of these assays, and spelling all this out at an early
stage would be very useful.