[Bioc-devel] _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ = false

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Sep 15 19:12:08 CEST 2012

On 09/15/2012 09:00 AM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Henrik Bengtsson <hb at biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:
>> Here's another example of this:
>>
>> http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/PANR/moscato1-checksrc.html
>>
>> Question to BioC core: Why not sticking with the default
>> _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=FALSE?
>
> My bad: It's TRUE by default
>
> <quote>
> _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_
> If true, give an error if suggested packages are not available.
> Default: true (but false for CRAN submission checks).
> </quote>
>
> (I've been using --as-cran to much lately).  Still standing by my
> comments below though.
>
>>   I see a suggested package as a
>> package that is not required except in rare cases.  I also sometimes

The more usual scenario is that suggested packages are used during build
or check but not by the installed package, e.g., suggested packages used
in vignettes or perhaps unit tests. It's hard enough to write and
support code that works consistently across platforms, so you're a brave
person to want to write code that also supports different package
configurations.

_R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=TRUE restricts the universe of available
packages to those on cran and Bioc (mostly), which have at least a
modicum of testing and general availability that would seem to be desirable.

Not meant to be the final word on the _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ flag.

Martin