[Bioc-devel] _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_ = false

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Sat Sep 15 18:00:04 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM, Henrik Bengtsson <hb at biostat.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Here's another example of this:
>
> http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/PANR/moscato1-checksrc.html
>
> Question to BioC core: Why not sticking with the default
> _R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_=FALSE?

My bad: It's TRUE by default

<quote>
_R_CHECK_FORCE_SUGGESTS_
If true, give an error if suggested packages are not available.
Default: true (but false for CRAN submission checks).
</quote>

(I've been using --as-cran to much lately).  Still standing by my
comments below though.

>  I see a suggested package as a
> package that is not required except in rare cases.  I also sometimes
> use them to complement each other, e.g. part of my code prefer package
> A but if that doesn't exist it's fall back to use package B.  It's up
> to the developer to write examples()/system tests that don't generate
> R CMD check errors in these cases, and if they forget, then ...yes...
> R CMD check will generate an ERROR anyway.

/Henrik

PS. Yue, I don't it's not possible for the package to control these
flags/settings.