[Bioc-devel] SummarizedExperiments

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Sep 7 07:32:03 CEST 2012

I'll respond here, though I've read the rest of the thread.

On 09/06/2012 02:26 PM, Kasper Daniel Hansen wrote:
> Alltogether, this looks great.  I am still implementing/testing, but
> seems pretty nice.
>
> Here is a number of convenience methods I believe should be
> implemented.  Some of them comes from eSet and some of them comes from
> my own work in bsseq, but I have used all of them extensively in
> various packages.
>
> sampleNames, featureNames, pData

I shied away from these intentionally, using colnames, rownames, colData
respectively. These emphasize the matrix-like behavior of a
SummarizedExerpiment. Also the 'features' of featureNames has a
technical meaning in the MAGE model of microarrays (and is,
embarrassingly, used incorrectly in ExpressionSet). For newcomers it is
also not transparent what the 'p' in 'pData' stands for, and for the
more establishing user it will come as a surprise that the nicer design
of DataFrame means that phenoData is already implied by colData -- look
in mcols(colData(.)) for the equivalent of varMetadata.

> granges, start, end, width, strand, seqnames, seqlengths, seqlevels
> findOverlaps, subsetByOverlaps

Tim mentioned that seqlengths and seqlevels are implemented already. The
remainder are all operations on GRanges or GRangesList, and I think it's
reasonable to implemented them (and others in the GRanges / GRangesList
API). I want to give some thought to doing this efficiently; thanks for
the pointer to hasGRanges.

> 'granges' is a method already defined in GenomicRanges, I have found
> it very convenient.  It is not clear to me why it is all lowercase
>
> What I have done in bsseq for the later two lines of methods, is to
> have a class 'hasGRanges' that designate any object with a GRanges.
> Then implement the granges() method and the rest goes from there.  Not
> sure whether that makes sense in this context, but in general I have
> found it very convenient for my own work.  Code for all of this is in
> bsseq/R/hasGRanges.R.  I have two classes in the package inheriting
> from hasGRanges.  Note that the classes in bsseq have not been updated
> to build on the new SummarizedExperiment (yet).

Tim mentions sub-setting and subsetByOverlaps. Conceptually I like the
idea of sub-setting one GRanges by another. I'll definitely implement
subsetByOverlaps, which I think of as approximately se[countOverlaps(se,
gr) != 0,], and will also rethink [ sub-setting.

Thanks for the input.

Martin