[Bioc-devel] GenomicRanges auto load question

Gustavo Fernández Bayón gbayon at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:30:51 CEST 2012

Hi everybody.

I have a problem with GRanges, and I don't know if it is the expected behavior or not. The situation is as following:

1) In a certain script, I generate and save the annotation for 450k:

library(FDb.InfiniumMethylation.hg19)
hm450 <- get450k()
save(hm450, file='anno.RData')

2) In another script, I try to load the data and show the probe names:

load('anno.RData')
names(hm450)
names(hm450)

The first call to 'names' triggers the auto-loading of the GenomicRanges package, BUT it returns NULL. The second call returns the target id's as expected. This has given me some headaches, since I have a script in my workflow that loads the annotation and tries to do something similar, with the first operation being the names accession. I have fixed it by loading first the library, but it still looks strange to me, so I publish it here to see if it happens to help somebody.

My sessionInfo:

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0/x86_64 (64-bit)
locale:
[1] C
attached base packages:
[1] stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base
other attached packages:
[1] GenomicRanges_1.10.1 IRanges_1.16.2 BiocGenerics_0.4.0
[1] parallel_2.15.1 stats4_2.15.1 tools_2.15.1

Regards,
Gustavo