[Bioc-devel] ¿A useful addition to MotifDb package?

Diego Diez diego10ruiz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 05:13:32 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I am very interested on this indeed! I have a package (with plans to
submit it for the next Bioc release) that uses a mysql database of PWM
(Jaspar, Uniprobe) and so the MotifDb came as a surprise, although in
the good sense (more bioconductor integration). I was looking also for
ways to integrate the goals of the package with an R-only workflow
(currently using MEME for motif matching), so the new bioc workflow
really helps me to accomplish this.

Regarding the limits for promoters, I found very varied options in
different papers. For example, in the same embryonic stem cells some
authors used +-5kb TSS (as pointed out before by Steve) and others
used -8+2kb. So there is definitely no consensus on that. Providing
some examples for boundaries to use can be useful for the novel users,
but always stating clearly that these are not fixed. And for the
functions probably not having a default is the best option.

Cheers,
Diego