[Bioc-devel] non-pdf documents linked from package pages?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Wed Nov 21 20:25:11 CET 2012

On 11/21/2012 09:08 AM, Michael Lawrence wrote:
> This may already be documented somewhere, but do the package pages on the
> bioc website link to any file present in inst/doc? Or does it only work for
> PDF vignettes? It would be neat if people could produce vignettes in any
> format and have them linked from the package pages.
>
> This relates to Sean's idea of having wiki-like webs of documentation. In
> theory, if HTML documents were included, they could link to other HTML
> documents embedded in other packages. Ideally, there would also be "meta"
> documents that describe high-level concepts and bridge packages.
>
> But I think at least linking to HTML documents in inst/doc would be an easy
> and useful first step, if it isn't supported already.

Hi Michael --

That's an interesting idea. There are some obstacles. For instance, a file
inst/doc/index.html can already be installed and accessible through R's help
system (help.start(), navigate to package page, then 'Overview of user guides
and package vignettes'; an example is in RGalaxy). There's then a conflict
between url's that are relative vs. fully specified.

Maybe there are ways to exploit R's help system more creatively? Or the project
could adopt a convention, 'files in inst/doc/bioc are linked from the landing page'?

Martin & Dan