[Bioc-devel] BiocParallel

Sat Nov 17 06:45:46 CET 2012

Ding!

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:42 PM, Ryan C. Thompson <rct at thompsonclan.org> wrote:
> The difference is that in the parallel package, you use mclapply for
> multicore and parLapply for multi-machine parallelism. If you want to switch
> from one to the other, you have to change all your code that uses either
> function to the other one. If you use llply(..., .parallel=TRUE), then all
> you have to do is register a different backend, which is one line of code to
> load the new backend and a second one to register it, and the rest of your
> code stays the same.

This is the same reason I've also floated use of foreach in the past.

But then you have the situation of multi-machines w/ multiple cores --
is this (2) or (3) here?

How do you explicitly write code for that w/ foreach mojo? I guess the
answer to that is that you let your "grid engine" (or whatever your
SGE equivalent is that you might be running) handle that for you.

--
Steve Lianoglou