[Bioc-devel] Package download stats inflated? (specifically cummeRbund)

lgoff at csail.mit.edu lgoff at csail.mit.edu
Wed May 23 23:54:13 CEST 2012

Hi Bioc-devel,
I am the package maintainer for the cummeRbund package and since I'm
not exactly sure to whom I should ask this question, I decided to post
to the bioc-devel list.

Since this is my first Bioc package I have been keenly interested in
the download stats that are tracked and visible on the Bioconductor
website, here:

http://bioconductor.org/packages/stats/index.html

Specifically, I'm noticing that the number of downloads for the
cummeRbund package seems to far outpace the number of unique IP
addresses downloading the package:

http://bioconductor.org/packages/stats/bioc/cummeRbund.html

For a few months there was a mean of between 10-20 downloads per
unique IP address, and for the current month this is on track to be
about 36 downloads/IP (and looks to be about 8.7% of the total BioC
packages downloaded this month so far).  Looking around at several
other packages, this does not seem to be the case as most of the
packages in the top 30 list have a ratio of about 1.8-3 downloads / IP.

As ecstatic as these numbers make me, I'm certain that there is some
underlying reason for this inflation that is not being appropriately
represented here, but without anything else to go on, I'm not really
sure where this is coming from.  I would obviously like to have an
honest representation of the number of downloads for my package, and I
was hoping that someone with access to these data could help me track
down the cause of this download inflation (unless these numbers are a
true representation of the downloads, and then I would also very much
like to find out more demographics if possible as well).

Any and all advice or information is appreciated!  Thanks to all, and
a special thanks to everyone that helps to keep BioC such an amazing
project.  I have enjoyed the benefits of bioconductor for the past 5+
years and I'm very happy that I can finally start to contribute back
to this wonderful project.  (Also, I look forward to meeting some of
you at BioC 2012 this year!)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Loyal Goff

(lgoff at csail.mit.edu)
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MIT &
Stem Cells and Regenerative Biology Department, Harvard University &
The Broad Institute