[Bioc-devel] mapping between original and reduced ranges

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Thu Mar 15 22:01:20 CET 2012

Hi Malcolm,

On 03/15/2012 12:45 PM, Cook, Malcolm wrote:
> Hi Herve,
>
> I've not used attributes to return values before.
>
> I guess it would work, and I won't object further if you do it this way, but, since you asked
>
> Again, it "feels wrong" in violating functional
>
> I suspect there may be issues with memory management.  When does the attribute get gc-ed?  When the object does?

I don't think attributes are treated differently than e.g. slots or list
elements. They are part of the object and I've never worried before
that gc would take parts of my objects away.

> If so, then, retaining the attribute in memory when not needed _could_ be a burden, no?

You would get the attribute attached to the returned object only if you
asked for it i.e. when calling reduce() with 'with.mapping.attrib=TRUE'.

> Back in my lisp days, this is when I would use `values` and `multiple-value-bind` (and friends) when I wanted a function to (optionally) return multiple values.
>
> But this is R.
>
> Would you consider returning instead a list of values, keyed by `value` and `hits`, but only when with.hits

I realize that using an attribute is not ideal. We try to avoid using
attributes for returning extra information as much as we can (and
reduce(..., 'with.inframe.attrib=TRUE') is the only place that I know
in the IRanges/GenomicRanges infrastructure where we are doing it).

Yes there are other options, like returning a list, or returning an
extension of IRanges/GenomicRanges that holds the mapping in an extra
slot, or putting the mapping in the metadata slot of the returned
object. Also we could have a separate function like reduceWithMapping()
to return those things. I guess all those solutions have pros and cons.

BTW, "using or not using attributes?" was asked recently on R-devel:

   https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2012-January/062930.html

I don't like the attribute solution but amongst all the solutions I
can think of, it's the one I dislike less ;-) My 2nd less disliked
solution would be to use the metadata slot.

Would be good to hear some feedback from other reducers. Thanks!

H.

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791
Fax:    (206) 667-1319