[Bioc-devel] Candidates for BiocGenerics

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Mar 1 19:29:52 CET 2012

2012/3/1 Hervé Pagès <hpages at fhcrc.org>:
> Hi Benilton, Sean,
>
> On 03/01/2012 08:18 AM, Sean Davis wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Benilton Carvalho
>> <beniltoncarvalho at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm implementing a few things in oligo and I wonder if it'd make sense to have
>>>
>>> boxplot/coef/image/ncol/residuals
>>>
>>> defined in BiocGenerics?
>>>
>>> If it's only me using them, I'm happy to have everything in oligo.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> It seems that if someone is proposing a generic for functionality
>> already in base R, that generic is by definition a good candidate for
>> inclusion in BiocGenerics.
>
> I agree.
>
>> Are there downsides to having this be a
>> criterion for inclusion?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
> I'll add boxplot, coef, image, ncol and residuals to BiocGenerics today.
> I'll also add nrow, NROW, NCOL and dim, which are all interconnected
> with ncol.

Thanks.  Is it worth developing an SOP or policy statement that can go
either here:

http://bioconductor.org/developers/package-submission/

or here:

http://bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/

A link to currently available generics, how to request a new generic,
and some guidance to package developers about using the available
generics might be useful information?

Sean