[Bioc-devel] importing (and therefore requiring) one function, vs copying function

Robert M. Flight rflight79 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 21:31:05 CET 2012

Hi Everyone,

I'm creating my own package, and one use case utilizes gene ontology
graphs generated based on a user defined set of GO terms. There is a
function in GOstats, GOGraph that does this, but that would be the
only function I actually use from GOstats. Instead of putting an
import for the one function (and therefore adding to the dependency),
I thought about instead just putting a copy of the function in my own
package with a note as to the original source.

My question is which would be the best practice?

Regards,

-Robert

Robert M. Flight, Ph.D.
University of Louisville Bioinformatics Laboratory
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY

PH 502-852-1809 (HSC)
PH 502-852-0467 (Belknap)
EM robert.flight at louisville.edu
EM rflight79 at gmail.com
robertmflight.blogspot.com
bioinformatics.louisville.edu/lab

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..." -
Isaac Asimov