[Bioc-devel] Package crashes with

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 3 18:42:55 CET 2012

Hi all,

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 6:30 AM, Laurent Gatto <laurent.gatto at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Benilton,
>
> On 2 February 2012 19:01, Benilton Carvalho <beniltoncarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Laurent,
>>
>> The major issue, IMHO, is the fact that internally ggplot2 has
>> distinct dependencies conditional on its version. ggplot2 0.8.9
>> depends on reshape; ggplot2 0.9.0 depends on reshape2. And both
>> reshape and reshape2 provide different implementations of the same
>> method (see melt).
>
> Definitely, that does have broader implications. Thank you for pointing it out.
>
>> If ggplot2 0.9.0 was available for every platform, the changes in
>> GRENITS (and whatever other package that uses ggplot2) would be
>> straightforward (but still require some extra work, given how the
>> format of some outputs from reshape2 changed compared to reshape)...
>> And it does not seem to me that these are changes that we expect to do
>> in the middle of a cycle on the stable branch.
>>
>> One particular issue is the fact the Hadley mentioned that ggplot2
>> 0.9.0 would be resubmitted to CRAN only in March ( http://goo.gl/p5rbq
>> )... which makes this slightly harder to handle.
>>
>> Maybe we'd need to have one exception and simply force to have ggplot2
>> 0.8.9 on the stable branch? Or just solve the issue that impedes
>> ggplot2 0.9.0 to be built on every platform and deal with the fact
>> that there would be major (internal) changes on the BioC release
>> branch...
>
> I was surprised that 0.9.0 was installed on the stable branch, as it
> is not yet available on CRAN. Not sure what the best approach is,
> though, as maintainers have or are on their way to make the necessary
> changes in devel and release.
> More confusing, to me at least, is that devel and release packages are
> build/checked with ggplot2 0.9.0 but biocLite installs 0.8.9.

It appears that ggplot2 0.9.0 was available through CRAN and then
withdrawn to 0.8.9 (except on Mac, where 0.9.0 is still available).
The Bioconductor build system installs from CRAN and tries to load the
newest packages available. I removed ggplot 0.9.0 from the build
machines which will trigger the installation of 0.8.9 in the next
build cycle. I will ask Hadley about why 0.9.0 is available for Mac
only.

Thanks,
Dan