[Bioc-devel] Mentored Projects at Bioconductor

Nicolas Delhomme delhomme at embl.de
Fri Aug 31 18:04:14 CEST 2012

Dear Paul,

This is a great idea. I've got a number of ideas for package that I've not got the time to implement yet and I suppose some of those could be eligible for that page.

The web page is nice. I think that there should be some guidelines on what is expected from a) the person taking up the project, b) the mentor (duties, required competencies, etc.) listed on that page. If it is successful - which I hope - there might  be a large number of projects on that page and it might become difficult to track them. Maybe, instead, a series of pages listing the different kind of projects, e.g. "accepted undergoing projects", "new projects",... would be good. I really think that accepted projects should not be hidden from the webpage until they are completed to make sure that we avoid re-inventing the wheel too much. Another point that should figure in the project description is the mentor geo-localization. Being located in Europe, it might be difficult to monitor someone on the west cost.

I really like this idea, although one concern I have is that it will de-facto create a binding between the mentor and the applicant(s). Is there a need for that to be formalized; some kind of mutual agreement or so?

Cheers,

Nico

Nicolas Delhomme

Genome Biology Computational Support