[Bioc-devel] Tips for using R-2.15 with BioC 2.10 and 2.11

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fhcrc.org
Tue Apr 17 19:00:20 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Kasper Daniel Hansen
<kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Dan Tenenbaum <dtenenba at fhcrc.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Nicolas Delhomme <delhomme at embl.de> wrote:
>>> Hi Dan,
>>>
>>> I, indeed, have a different setup, therefore the script. I just pasted it unchanged.
>>>
>>> Now I'm curious about what your recommendations are for the current development version (2.11). I have read your previous email about this topic, but I still need some clarifications. Is it important wether we use R-2.16 or R-2.15 for developing packages for Bioc 2.11? Or do we have to use R-2.15 for Bioc 2.11 and switch to R-2.16 for Bioc 2.12 in six months?
>>
>> We recommend using R-2.15 for developing packages for BioC 2.11.
>> After BioC 2.11 is released, you can switch to using R 2.16 (R-devel)
>> for developing BioC 2.12 packages.
>>
>> We don't recommend using R-2.16 before then because it could introduce
>> changes that will not be present in R-2.15, which is the R version
>> that BioC 2.11 is intended to run with, and is what our build machines
>> are running (for that matter, R-2.15 is also the R version that BioC
>> 2.10 is intended to run with).
>
> Just to be completely clear: you do recommend 2.15 patched, right?

Our build machines are currently running R 2.15.0. Our build machines
always use point releases, never patched. You can use patched if you
want as long as you are aware of this.

> Will the final version for Bioc 2.11 be the latest minor release of
> R-2.15, released before Bioc 2.11.

Yes. We will update all of our build machines when there is a point
release of R-2.15. So both release and devel (2.10 and 2.11) will be
building on the
same point release of R 2.15.

Dan