[Bioc-devel] biocLite

Simon Anders anders at embl.de
Wed Sep 14 16:06:46 CEST 2011

Hi

On 09/14/2011 02:07 PM, Wolfgang Huber wrote:
> currently,
> biocLite("GreatNewPackage")
> will produce
> package ‘GreatNewPackage’ is not available
> if called, say, from R 2.13 if GreatNewPackage is only in R-devel.
>
> To help our less sophisticated users, would it be possible that biocLite
> advised them of the existence of the package in other than the relevant
> releases (incl. the devel branch)?

In addition to this suggestion:

How about if biocLite warned users if called from an older R, saying
something like "Warning: Installing from Bioconductor release 2.5. Newer
versions of the package(s) might be available from the current release,
Bioconductor 2.8. To use it, update R to version 2.13".

This might reduce the number of questions on the mailing list from
people using outdated package versions.

The warning might be triggered either by calling biocLite(), or already
when sourcing biocLite.R.

   Simon