[Bioc-devel] using and importing CRAN package functions from "plyr"

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Oct 29 02:30:02 CEST 2011

On 10/27/2011 12:12 AM, Andreas Heider wrote:
> Dear BioC-Devel mailing list,
> my package makes use of the "recast" function from the "reshape" R-package.
> I have imported the function in the NAMESPACE with "importFrom("reshape",
> recast, melt, cast, sort_df)". So this worked out quite well.
> But this function relies on the "is.formula" function from the "plyr"
> R-package. So I tried to import this function along whith its dependancies
> in the NAMESPACE.
> Now this did not work for me. I have tried "import(plyr)",
> "importFrom("plyr", is.formula, rbind.fill)" in the NAMESPACE and "Depends:
> plyr" in the DESCRIPTION.
> At the moment of writing only "Depends: plyr" works for me.
> Any attempt of importing the function results in the following error when
> checking the package:
>
> Error in recast(data = exprs_z, formula = identifier ~ variable,
> collapse_fun) :
>    could not find function "is.formula"
> Calls: virtualArray.build_fData ->  recast
>
> Maybe someone has encountered similar problems and can help me out of this.

Hi Andreas --

'reshape' has been replaced by 'reshape2'; I think you'll have more luck
with that.

For what it's worth, 'reshape' doesn't import anything into its own
namespace

 > getNamespaceImports("reshape")
$base
[1] TRUE

When it tries to find is.formula, it looks in it's name space and then
on the search path, rather than in your name space (this is the right
thing to do -- you don't want reshape's search path to be disrupted by
your package). So whatever functions reshape needs have to be found on
the search path, hence Depends: plyr.

Martin