[Bioc-devel] Why can't I install parallel?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Oct 22 17:11:16 CEST 2011

On 10/22/2011 07:52 AM, Rory Stark wrote:
> I switched from using multicore to parallel a couple of weeks ago. Today I removed parallel to test behaviour when it is absent. When I tried to re-install it, I got:
>
>> source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
> BiocInstaller version 1.1.28, ?biocLite for help
>> biocLite('parallel')
> BioC_mirror: 'http://www.bioconductor.org'
> Using R version 2.15, BiocInstaller version 1.1.28.
> Installing package(s) 'parallel'
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>    package 'parallel' is not available (for R Under development)

parallel is distributed with R so not available in the CRAN
repositories; the easiest solution is to re-install R.

Since parallel is distributed with R, there's no scenario where a valid
R installation will not have parallel.

In terms of re-installing R, it can be really helpful to have agreed to
R's suggestion to use a library outside the R installation tree,
something like ~/R/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-library/2.15 on Linux.
Re-installing R then does not require re-installation of your current
packages.

Martin