[Bioc-devel] Reproducing erros on build and check

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Oct 18 15:32:44 CEST 2011

On 10/17/2011 11:59 PM, Stefan McKinnon Høj-Edwards wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just noticed that my package AnnotationFuncs does pass build and check for the next release on the Windows hosts. On the Linux and Max OS X hosts there are no problems.
> The error logs are these:
> - http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/AnnotationFuncs/liverpool-buildsrc.html
> - http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/AnnotationFuncs/moscato1-checksrc.html
>
> My personal workstation is also running Windows (7), and I have checked and built the package using the latest R release (R version 2.14.0 alpha (2011-10-04 r57169)), but I am not able to reproduce the errors displayed on the log at BioConductor.
>
> I have also been looking through my code, and I cannot trace the error giving problems in the build and check above:
>
> Error in function (x)  : no function to return from, jumping to top level
> Execution halted
> Error in function (x)  : attempt to apply non-function
> Execution halted

These errors seem to be an issue with the build system  / R. They show
up intermitently on all platforms, but much more commonly on our windows
build machines. We don't know what the precise issue is (maybe
contention of multiple installation threads for some R-wide resource? a
memory allocation bug in R?) but these seem to be on our side of the
fence and not yours. Actually, though, we are quite stumped about the
root cause so any insights from the broader community would be great...

While on the topic, it can also be disconcerting to see your package
fail, but tracing to some dependency -- all authors should check
carefully, especially at this point in the release cycle, that their
changes work. The recommended strategy for PkgA is to make a local svn
export

   cd /tmp
   svn export /home/mtmorgan/mypkgs/PkgA

then in the /tmp directory build

   R CMD build PkgA

then check

   R CMD check PkgA_0.99.0.tar.gz

The local svn export makes sure that everything you think is in svn
actually is. R CMD build creates the vignette; the --no-vignette flag
can be useful to speed things up for other-than-final checks.

Martin