[Bioc-devel] Warning message concerning encoding on pitt server

Andreas Mitterecker mitterecker at bioinf.jku.at
Mon Oct 17 17:33:50 CEST 2011

Dear mailing list,

The CHECK report of the cn.farms package on the pitt server (Mac OS X
Leopard (10.5.8) / i386) throws the warning:
'DESCRIPTION' file has 'Encoding' field and re-encoding is not possible
(http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/cn.farms/pitt-checksrc.html)

This problem occurs on the release branch (BioC 2.8) as well as on
development branch (BioC 2.9).
I first observed this warning without having changed anything in the
package and there is definitely no 'Encoding' field in the DESCRIPTION file.
I have also tried to change the encoding of the DESCRIPTION file, but
this didn't help either. Furthermore I had the package tested on another
Mac machine and the warning didn't show up. Therefore I suppose the this
warning is quite specific for the pitt server.

Furthermore the exact same warning message shows up on following
Bioconductor packages:
- charm
- crlmm
- frma
- IsoGeneGUI
- ITALICS
- oligo

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide,

Andreas

Andreas Mitterecker
Johannes Kepler University
Institute of Bioinformatics