[Bioc-devel] Problem with generic methods name conflicts

Stephanie M. Gogarten sdmorris at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 13 19:45:06 CEST 2011

If a package is listed in "Depends", should it also be listed in
"Imports"?  I initially thought that this was redundant, and assumed
that any package in Depends should be imported (unless it does not have
a namespace).  However, I tried to import a package (sandwich) which did
not follow that rule - it depended on zoo but did not import it, thus
forcing me to depend on it in order to use its functions within my own
package (see recent discussion on R-devel).  It seems to me that the
best solution is to avoid listing packages twice in the DESCRIPTION
file, and to import anything in "Depends" unless there is some very good
reason not to.  But if the convention is to explicitly list all imports
in the "Imports" field, I will follow that.

Stephanie