[Bioc-devel] Problem with generic methods name conflicts

Simon Anders anders at embl.de
Thu Oct 13 18:09:39 CEST 2011

Dear Vince

> "object" is here just a parameter name, not a signature.  i believe
> this issue is independent of the
> concept of multiple dispatch.

What I meant is this: If you consider it unlikely that any package
author who may want to define methods with a certain name wants to
dispatch on anything else than just the type of the first argument, it
is sufficient to specify only one parameter (and then "...") in the
generic. This limits any method to signatures with only a single type,
but this will be fine, usually. And to stay general, we should give this
one parameter as standard name, "object". Then, defining this generic is
a "mere formality", and we may have a standing policy that such a
generic is simply added to a central place (Biobadse or BioGenerics)
whenever requested, without need for discussion.

   Simon