[Bioc-devel] A call for feedback on writing S4 docs with roxygen

Fri Nov 11 16:57:33 CET 2011

Hi Michael,

I think I see where you are coming from.

I think in (my) ideal world and constrained by the way R is currently
(normally/"properly") documented, I'd love to be able to put the
banner/title, description, and argument "junk" inline w/ the source
code.

If usage/examples aren't too long, I think they'd fit nicely there too.

Also keep in mind that you can inline define which functions are
exported through in the NAMESPACE, and which function you are
currently writing required to be imported from another package first
in order to register the base generic def, etc.

But for docs that are super long, I can see how huge chunks of
documentation/prose isn't ideal ... perhaps an @include directive (or
something) that can inline a file that has some long/verbose
exposition that would reduce the signal:noise ratio in the source
itself would be nice.

Maybe it's just me, but the split between the Rd and the source to
document the "essense" of the function, ie. its params and short
description is enough of a burden to me that I'm not all that good
about fishing into the Rd when I change something in my code.

One could argue that I need to spend more time upfront really
hammering out the API of whatever I'm working on in my head before I
hit the pavement/editor. I wouldn't disagree in theory, but in
practice it's just not how things work out.

-steve