[Bioc-devel] Preparing package release notes

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Wed Nov 2 07:55:58 CET 2011

Hi Martin,

I prepared a file inst/NEWS.Rd in the limma package, but it isn't included
on the Bioc 2.9 NEWS page:

   http://www.bioconductor.org/news/bioc_2_9_release/

I notice that the same thing is true for other packages including cqn and
geneplotter, i.e., the packages contain valid NEWS.Rd files that include
the latest release but which haven't been captured on the release html
page.

Have we made a mistake, or has the query run omitted the NEWS.Rd files?

Best wishes
Gordon

[Bioc-devel] Preparing package release notes
Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Oct 21 23:45:19 CEST 2011

Package developers --

Each Bioconductor release is accompanied by release notes that mention
new packages and other significant project developments. For the
forthcoming release we would also like to include release notes for
individual packages, so that users have an easy way to survey changes in
their favorite packages.

To have your package release notes made available in the Bioconductor
release notes, please arrange for your package to include a NEWS.Rd or
NEWS file that can be parsed by the utils::news function. We'll run this
command over all packages, using a 'query' argument that captures all
updates more recent than the start of the current release cycle. For
instance, Rsamtools in the devel branch is at version "1.5.76", so we'll
get news with

  > utils::news(Version >= "1.5.0", "Rsamtools")

resulting in

Changes in version 1.6.0:

NEW FEATURES

      o   TabixFile, indexTabix, scanTabix, yieldTabix index (sorted,
 	compressed) and parse tabix-indexed files

      o   readBamGappedReads(), bamFlagAsBitMatrix(), bamFlagAND()

      o   Add use.names and param args to readBamGappedAlignments();
          dropped which and ... args.

      o   PileupFiles, PileupParam, applyPileup for visiting several BAM
 	files and calculating pile-ups on each.

      o   Provide a zlib for Windows, as R does not currently do this

      o   BamFileList, BcfFileList, TabixFileList, FaFileList clases
 	extend IRanges::SimpleList, for managings lists of file