[Bioc-devel] About copyright and license of Limma.

Gordon K Smyth smyth at wehi.EDU.AU
Mon May 16 01:49:32 CEST 2011

Dear Charles,

My intention with the limma package is to follow the free-software
guidelines of the Bioconductor and R projects.  I'm not an expert on
license requirements myself, so I take advice on this topic, so I've cc'd
this to the mailing list for Bioconductor software developers.

The limma package declares the LGPL license in the DESCRIPTION file, but
contains no other copyright claims, as this was the recommended
Bioconductor practice some years ago.  I'm not familiar with the
differences between LGPL versions, and I notice that some core
Bioconductor packages such as Biobase now declare Artistic 2.0 licence.
I'm happy to take advice on this.  I do not know why Bioconductor licenses
are different from that of R itself.

In the Author field of the DESCRIPTION file I try to mention everyone who
has contributed code over the years that made it into the limma package,
even if the code was later modified or removed.  I view myself as the
copyright sole holder however.

The GPL licence statement in the file norm.R is because there are several
lines of code in that file copied verbatim from the function simpleLoess
in the stats package (as acknowledged in the code comments).  It was
therefore necessary for me to reproduce the license statement from the
stats package.  I can see the potential complication of having two
different license statements in the package, and am happy to take advice
on this.

Hope this doesn't put up any unnecessary barriers.

Best wishes
Gordon

Professor Gordon K Smyth,
Bioinformatics Division,
Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research,
1G Royal Parade, Parkville, Vic 3052, Australia.
smyth at wehi.edu.au
http://www.wehi.edu.au
http://www.statsci.org/smyth