[Bioc-devel] New package with methods for annotation packages

Stefan McKinnon Edwards StefanM.Edwards at agrsci.dk
Mon Jan 10 10:59:57 CET 2011

Dear Martin Morgan and Vincent Carey,

Thank you for your comments.

The translate function uses AnnotationDbi::mget to fetch the maps, so it requires the end-user to understand the concept of the "central ID" for the organism annotation packages.
Beside the function 'translate', I have implemented two functions for picking among the Refseq IDs and GO IDs, 'pickRefSeq' and 'pickGO'. For pickGO, an example that extends my first example:
R> pickGO (translate(symbols, from=org.Bt.egSYMBOL2EG, to=org.Bt.egGO), pick='MF')
$SERPINA1
[1] "GO:0005515" "GO:0002020" "GO:0004867" "GO:0030414"

$KERA
[1] "GO:0005515"

$CD5
[1] "GO:0005515" "GO:0005044"

If you have suggestions for other functions, I will be happy to receive them.

As I see it, the main difference between my package and GSEABase is the simplicity of my package. Yes, the simplicity comes at a cost of reduced data in the data (character vector vs. GeneSet), but as I see it, the simplicity has an advantage as it a) is easier to read (one line of code) and b) easy to interact with other data structures. However, based on a couple of examples, GSEABase could have an advantage on large-scale scripts where the annotation package may change (ie. it is stored within the GeneSet).

Kind regards,
Stefan McKinnon Edwards
PhD student
Dept. of Genetics and Biotechnology