[Bioc-devel] Download stats for Feb/2011?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Mon Feb 21 03:37:12 CET 2011

On 02/20/2011 06:28 PM, Luo Weijun wrote:
> Hi Christian and Martin,

> The same download pattern also occurred to my gage package. Actually
> it occurred to many non-core packages, i.e. those don't install
> through biocLite(). For those core packages or highly used packages
> already with thousands of downloads per month, this pattern is not
> seen. For instance, the biomaRt package you have mentioned, its
> February is similar to other normal months. Based on Martin's
> description, very likely some other computer cluster with a few
> hundred nodes is installing Bioconductor with all packages included.
> These exta few hundred downloads mean a lot more for the non-core
> packages, but little for core packages.

Hi Weijun

We'll try to get to the bottom of this, but not until working hours,
which in the US starts on Tuesday this week.

> A related question I am interested now, is there any way to know the
> total download stats, not only from FHCRC server, but also from the
> mirrors. Martin said mirror stats are not counted currently.

There is no centralized collation of statistics; mirrors are listed at

  http://bioconductor.org/about/mirrors/

but this list might be out of date and not comprehensive (there are
instructions for creating mirrors, and no requirement that someone who
creates a mirror, e.g., for internal use, report this to us), and there
is no requirement for mirrors to collect download statistics.

Martin