[Bioc-devel] BiocGenerics / NAMESPACE question

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 19:40:07 CET 2011

I have looked a bit at BiocGenerics.  I may not be up to date on the
latest in export/NAMESPACE, but why are (almost) all the generics
exported as

  export(lapply)

and not

  exportMethod(lapply)

and why is combine/updateObject different.  Is it because you need
export() to register the generic and only exportMethod if the package
defines a method aside from the generic?  And does that mean I need to
treat exporting a method differently depending on whether or not the
package I am writing defines the generic or not?

>From the additions to minfi's NAMESPACE it also seems like I have to
get the generic by importFrom and not importMethodsFrom.

There is probably something I don't get, but I am a bit surprised.

Kasper