[Bioc-devel] experiment package submission

Grant Izmirlian izmirlig at mail.nih.gov
Thu Jul 22 22:12:11 CEST 2010

Hi:
It occurred to me that you could submit your data to NCBI.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information is the home
 the GEO database and many, many other resources.

I went to their homepage and tried to determine how one
goes about submitting data there.  I wasn't able to figure
that out quickly. I called their helpline and the librarian
asked me

   what type of data is it?

The answer to that question determines the route
to submitting the data, as there are different tools
for submitting different types of data.  I asked

   is there a review process?

She told me that

   the submitter remains the sole owner of the dataset and is
  solely responsible for its content and quality.

For example, if you're wishing to send in a nucleotide sequence,
you would

1.  go to the NCBI homepage
     http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/

2. click "All Resources (A to Z)" in the green pane on the upper left
   side of the screen

3. next click "Bankit"  under "B"

4. on that page there are detailed instructions for submitting your
  nucleotide sequence.

Of course if the data is of another type, you would go about submitting
it in a different way.  Some examples of datasets now being
accepted for publication at NCBI are

   Nucleotide Sequences
  Expression Analyses
  Variation Data --SNP studies
  Epigenomics
  GWAS

For help, either dial the help line,
1-888-346-3656

or get support through their email address:
info at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Best Regards,
Grant Izmirlian
Division of Cancer Prevention