[Bioc-devel] package size

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed Jul 21 20:16:26 CEST 2010

Hi Peter,

On 07/20/2010 10:57 PM, Bazeley, Peter wrote:
> Going with Martin's first suggestion, is 37 seconds to download the data too long/inconvenient for an example in the function documentation? This is for the package's main function, and the second of 2 examples, with the first using a smaller/faster to load dataset. The remaining code in this 2nd example takes under 8 seconds, including the code to access the data in the GEOquery object.
>
> Of course, the times will vary. My computer has an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz, 4GB of RAM, Windows 7.

Download times depend more on the quality of your network connection
than anything else. So for people with a slow internet access, those
times could be multiplied by 5, or 10, or more...

Cheers,
H.

>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31)
> i386-pc-mingw32
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] hgu95av2cdf_2.6.0   affydata_1.11.10    affy_1.26.1         QuantCombine_0.99.0 GEOquery_2.12.0
> [6] RCurl_1.4-2         bitops_1.0-4.1      Biobase_2.8.0

> [1] affyio_1.16.0         preprocessCore_1.10.0 tools_2.11.1

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center