[Bioc-devel] NAs into accessory table

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at upf.edu
Mon Jan 25 20:37:23 CET 2010

dear Marc and the rest of the bioc-devel list,

this is about a message from a few months ago where you explained to me
how to introduce NAs as values associated to valid probe identifiers of
an accessory table with extra information about the probes of a custom
array platform that would form part of an annotation package. you told
me to simply put blank values in the flat file but at that time i
couldn't try it out because i at that moment i could not put my hands on
re-doing the package, now i'm redoing it to make it work for the latest
devel version of R and BioC and i'm finding that it doesn't work or at
least i didn't completely understand your suggestion, please see below.

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 12:12 -0800, Marc Carlson wrote:
> And to answer Roberts question:  To get an NA back (in R) from one of
> these accessory tables you are adding, you should only have to have null
> values in the relevant fields after the import.  No need to put NA
> strings into your input files as that will result in NA strings being
> stored in the DB.  Just leaving those portions of the input table blank
> should result in null values in your database table, which should give
> you the results you want when you look at those from R using
> AnnotationDbi (meaning NAs).
>
> So basically your database table should look like this when you query it:
>
> whateverkey|
>

> Please let me know if I need to clarify that.

i've generated a flat file with

whateverkey|\n

where '\n' is the newline character so that the associated value is
blank (i'm interpreting blank as the empty string). however, once the
package is built i get the following output for cases like the ones i
show here where the probe IDs refer to control probes for which these
extra information does not exist and the package should provide NAs:

tail(unlist(as.list(myCustomPkgPROBESTART)))
43334 43335 43336 43337 43338 43339
   ""    ""    ""    ""    ""    ""

so the empty string is provided (which is in fact what i put into the
flat file) instead of NAs.

the SQL code that creates such a table is the following:

CREATE TABLE prbStart (
          probe_id VARCHAR(80) NOT NULL,
          probe_start VARCHAR(32) NOT NULL,
          FOREIGN KEY (probe_id) REFERENCES probes (probe_id) ) ;

just in case this issue needs to be addressed in the table creation
statements. any idea will be very appreciated.

thanks!
robert.