[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor Changelog?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Thu Jan 14 23:49:10 CET 2010

cstrato wrote:
> Dear Jim, dear Martin,
>
> Thank you for your replies, I have just tested:
> svn log -v https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks |
> less
> and in principle it works.
>
> However, I must admit that it is not the same as Jim's really great
> Changelog, where you could not only browse around but also select a
> certain package and check all changes that were made.

add the package name to the end of the URL.

> It would be really great to see this web-site working again, and I
> assume that many other people were using it, too, and would be glad to
> have it again.
>
> Maybe, even more people would use it if the official web-site for each
> package would not only have a link to the "Download Stats" (which is
> also great to have), but also a link to the "Bioconductor Changelog" for
> this package.

The link was removed from that location when the change log became out
of date (see the 2.3 release pages, for instance); in some ways a
package NEWS file is the appropriate location for end-user information
(though I realize that many packages don't provide a NEWS file, and that
facilities for accessing a NEWS file are not as convenient as one might
like).

Martin

> Best regards
> Christian
>

> James W. MacDonald wrote:
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> cstrato wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Do you know what happened to the "Bioconductor Changelog"?
>>> It was a great way to stay updated about the latest changes in the
>>> Bioconductor packages.
>>>
>>> It seems that it is no longer updated, see:
>>> http://fgc.lsi.umich.edu/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi
>>
>> You are correct. I was maintaining the changelogs until late last
>> year, but the server I was using is not under my control and is being
>> used for other purposes that were having adverse effects on the
>> changelog, so I asked the folks in Seattle to move it there.
>>
>> Unfortunately, on a fun scale of 1:10, setting it up rates a -1, so I
>> think it has taken a back seat to things like sweet new next-gen
>> functions and such. And you are only the second person to mention that
>> it is dormant.
>>
>> But if an up-swelling of interest occurs, maybe Patrick (cough,
>> slacker, cough) will get 'er done ;-D
>>

>>> Is there an alternative possibility to see the latest changes in the
>>> Bioconductor packages?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> svn co https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks
>>
>> then each day (an example being tomorrow)
>>
>> cd Rpacks
>> svn update
>> svn log -v -r {2010-01-15}:{2010-01-14} > svnlog_2010-01-15.txt
>>
>> But yeah... that would not be fun. I used to parse that by hand every
>> month and mail it to the list. That rates a -1e100 on a fun scale of
>> 1:10.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jim
>>

>>> Best regards