[Bioc-devel] R_CheckUserInterrupt guidelines (was Re: R_CheckUserInterrupt in IRanges)

Patrick Aboyoun paboyoun at fhcrc.org
Mon Jan 11 21:36:26 CET 2010

Wolfgang,
We have been silent on when to add R_CheckUserInterrupt calls at the C
level for long running operations and only around 20 BioC packages use
it. I added calls to R_CheckUserInterrupt in coverage, run*, and view*
methods in IRanges, but more can certainly be added to the interval
operations.

For the developer wiki how does the following general rule sound:

C level for loops should include a call to R_CheckUserInterrupt when the
total loop time exceeds 10 seconds for a "reasonably sized" job on
"reasonable" hardware AND the method is intended for interactive use.

Thoughts?

Patrick