[Bioc-devel] User-Specified Parameter to Package

Jeff Allen lists at jdadesign.net
Mon Dec 20 17:24:25 CET 2010

Hello.

I'm looking to create an R package which requires a user-specific
parameter in order to work. To be more descriptive: I'm making a
database API available via an R package, but I want to control access to
this API by using keys so that I can monitor activity at the user-level
and make sure no one is abusing the database. So the R package is
complete, but I need a way for users to specify their key so that it can
be included in each call to the API. I'm looking for a way to avoid
having the include the API key in every function call, but instead be
able to include the key when you first attach the package.

The functionality I'm looking for would essentially be to be able to
pass a parameter to a package through the library call. That doesn't
seem to be possible, so I'm looking for alternatives that would be
user-friendly.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!

Best regards,
Jeff