[Bioc-devel] reporting progress while running in parallel

Robert Castelo robert.castelo at upf.edu
Fri Aug 27 16:27:48 CEST 2010

dear developers,

i'm adding parallel support to my package by copying & pasting the way
in which this is done by other packages like ShortRead. i'm currently
using 'snow' and since i'm providing this support for
computing-intensive calculations i'd like that while these calculations
are running in parallel, some sort of progress is reported.

i'd like to ask whether anybody here has added parallel support to
his/her package including some sort of progress reporting functionality.

my first guess is that probably the loop of slave R processes created by
'snow' should be replaced by something else, but i hope somebody has a
more clear idea about what could be done.

thanks!
robert.