[Bioc-devel] Dynamic memory in Fortran

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Wed May 20 02:54:06 CEST 2009

Hi Venkat,

Venkatraman E Seshan wrote:
> I would like to use dynamic memory allocation in a Fortran subroutine I
> am writing using allocatable declaration and allocate/disallocate calls.
>  I tested it in my current system and it works fine:
>
>    R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
>    x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>    GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3
>    gcc (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3
>
> Before I proceed any further I would like to know if has a potential to
> break my Bioconductor package in any system.

If this is a standard Fortran 95 feature, then you should be OK because all
our build machines have gfortran installed (gfortran == the Fortran 95/2003
compiler for GCC). That will make your package compile on all of them. It's
also reasonable to assume that people installing from source have a compiler
supporting Fortran 95 (gfortran is included in almost every Linux distro
those days).

But if you don't stick to the Fortran 95 standard, all bets are off.

To see what compilers exactly are installed on our build machines, check
our build/check report here

   http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/2.5/bioc-LATEST/index.html

and click on the name of a build machine in the Hostname column of the
1st table starting from the top.

Cheers,
H.

--