[Bioc-devel] Memory limits for individual objects

Vincent Carey stvjc at channing.harvard.edu
Wed Jul 29 17:20:53 CEST 2009

GGtools uses snpMatrix snp.matrix instances extensively.  A list of
chromosome-specific
snp.matrices is used.  You might be able decompose the data in various
ways to keep very
large quantities of genotype data in an object without having a single
entity with more than
2e9 elements?  on a machine with adequate ram, list(integer(2e9),
integer(2e9)) can be constructed.

Vincent Carey, PhD
Biostatistics, Channing Lab
617 525 2265