[Bioc-devel] rfc - rowttests in genefilter package

Wolfgang Huber whuber at embl.de
Thu Jul 16 23:45:50 CEST 2009

Dear Patrick

thank you! What Wikipedia calls Welford's/Knuth's one-pass algorithm
(and the apparent absence of even cleverer ones) is just what I was
looking for.

Implementation is always a trade-off of choosing between algorithms with
different computational cost, implementation effort and performance
characteristics. Needless to say, I did not have groups with thousands
of samples in mind when I made the "fast & simple" rowttests function
public many years ago. However, Welford's/Knuth's algorithm is uniformly
better on all three of the above criteria.

	Thanks again and best wishes
	Wolfgang

>>> https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/genefilter/
>>> src/rowttests.c