[Bioc-devel] Boost as build dependency ?

Steffen Neumann sneumann at ipb-halle.de
Sat Feb 28 00:09:16 CET 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 10:23 +0100, Steffen Neumann wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 22:30 -0500, Vincent Carey wrote:
> > this is 37MB compressed.  RBGL compressed for distribution is 1.2 MB.
> > i am a little concerned about added complexity/size of this approach.
> Since I only build a subset of the libraries,
> we could remove the unused bits which should result

Just tried that, it's down to 15MB, living at

	http://msbi.ipb-halle.de/~sneumann/RBOOST.tgz

and still includes all boost headers, which are ~5MB compressed.

The source tarball would still be well above the BioC file size limit.
And if other (new) packages depend on RBOOST, they might need
more libraries built, reducing the effectivity of the pruning efforts.

If 37MB are inacceptable, are 15MB acceptable ?

If not, I could remove the dependency on RBOOST from XCMS,
and try some dyn.load() magic and move the burden
of installing the proper BOOST stuff to the user / his OS distribution.
Would that be better in terms of usability ?!

Comments ?

Yours,
Steffen