[Bioc-devel] Boost as build dependency ?

Steffen Neumann sneumann at ipb-halle.de
Thu Feb 26 10:23:30 CET 2009

Hi,

On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 22:30 -0500, Vincent Carey wrote:
> this is 37MB compressed.  RBGL compressed for distribution is 1.2 MB.
> i am a little concerned about added complexity/size of this approach.
Yes indeed. The size increase results from also the sources
being distributed, not just the includes.

Since I only build a subset of the libraries,
we could remove the unused bits which should result
in (drastically ?) reduced file sizes. I didn't bother yet,
because I expect disecting boost to be a non-trivial task.
I could be wrong here.

Or are there already source tarballs for the individual boost libs ?

Also you're correct,
> why don't you distribute an installable R package built by R CMD
> build?
In the end BioC would distribute the installable package
at least for Mac/Windows, with a file size of 1.2MB for headers
plus ~1.1MB for the libs that I build. Linux will still have
the RBOOST source package, though.

Also not covered in my initial proposal:
what about versions ? Should RBOOST carry
the boost version number in its name ?
RBOOST138 ? Which special characters are allowed in R packages?
That way one could have multiple BOOST versions
installed in parallel, if one depending package
insists on an older version.

Yours,
Steffen

--
IPB Halle                    AG Massenspektrometrie & Bioinformatik
Dr. Steffen Neumann          http://www.IPB-Halle.DE